Spring 2014 Racing Schedule

25 Feb

As I alluded to in my last post, I’ve decided against a full marathon this spring.  Instead, I want to focus on building a strong base and work on speed a bit.  My main goal is to be comfortably running 60-75 minute base runs along with 1 speed workout and long run (in the 2h30m range) by summer.

I also want to work on racing more.  Though I do realize that racing all the time isn’t conducive to actually running to your potential, I think a lot of my issues in a race environment are mental.  The best way to overcome that is by stepping out of my comfort zone and forcing myself into being on the pain train more often.

My “race” goal is to set a new half PR by the end of the spring.  Here’s what I plan to hit along the way.

———————————–

Lake Effect Half Marathon

Well, duh.  You already know about this one.  I’ll do due diligence with a legit recap later, but my goal was to run a comfortable 1:50 and I did just that.

Tipp Hill Shamrock Run (4 miler)

tipp-hill-shamrock-run

(source)

This race kicked my newbie running ass in 2011 and I swore I’d never do it again.  Turns out, I’d actually like a little rendezvous with those hills.  I don’t have major expectations for this race, I just want to put in a good effort and drink some green beer after.

Syracuse Half Marathon

syracuse-half-marathon(source)

This is a new race in Syracuse – I missed out on it last year since it was the week after Shamrock, I believe.   It fits my schedule nicely this year however, so I decided to register.  I am hoping to run anywhere between 1:40-1:45 here.

Springtime 10k

jamesville-springtime-10k

(source)

Another new race (inaugural year) but 10Ks are hard to find so I went for it.  A PR here would be nice because I feel like my 10K best is pretty weak.  But we’ll see.

Mountain Goat Run

syracuse-mountain-goat-run-10-miler

(source)

I have run this every year since I started running, and I don’t intend to stop now.  This will be a “for fun” race.  I’m already excited.

Buffalo Half Marathon

buffalo-half-marathon

(source)

Dun dun dun.  The goal race.  If all goes well, I’ll be in PR City on May 25th.  Running 7:20s for 13 miles sounds damn near impossible right now, but that’s what training is for, right?

———————————–

There are a few other “tentatives” along the way.  I am really eyeing the New Jersey Half in April because a) it’s a chance to see Hollie and b) it’d be a nice stepping stone on my way to Buffalo.

———————————–

So there you have it.  Now your turn to share.  (#properbloggingtechnique)

What races are you running this spring?  Do you have a goal race?  More importantly, will you be at any of the same races as me?!

17 Responses to “Spring 2014 Racing Schedule”

1. Joe February 25, 2014 at 8:18 am #

Love it. See you at the cuse 1/2, maybe the goat too! Joe.

2. The Slouch February 25, 2014 at 9:15 am #

YOU FORGOT THE ROCK ‘N ROLL HALF, BITCH

• upstaterunner February 25, 2014 at 10:02 am #

SPOILER ALERT, jeeeez.

Also the title of the post is SPRING racing schedule, you ass. Work on your reading comprehension game 😉

3. wayfindinglibrarian February 25, 2014 at 9:43 am #

I will be at the Shamrock Run and Springtime 10k! Would do mountain goat, but will be in Pittsburgh running my first half marathon that day 🙂

• upstaterunner February 25, 2014 at 10:01 am #

Awesome!! Good luck at your half – I’ve heard Pittsburgh is a great race!

4. Jason February 25, 2014 at 10:23 am #

That’s a lot of races!

• upstaterunner February 25, 2014 at 12:36 pm #

My disposable income would’ve gone towards beer instead …. I’m actually starting to have second thoughts about this, oops.

5. HollieisFueledByLOLZ February 25, 2014 at 1:04 pm #

If I harass you more will you sign up for the NJ half. The more harassment the better.

• upstaterunner February 25, 2014 at 7:38 pm #

You know this method works with me. I am weak!

• HollieisFueledByLOLZ February 25, 2014 at 7:54 pm #

Now that I have nothing to harass people to do I suppose harassing you to run is the perfect thing to do.

6. Kristy February 25, 2014 at 8:29 pm #

That’s a solid schedule, lots of luck to you. I really wanted to run Buffalo this year, had I known it was Memorial Day weekend, I totally could have, but I ended up switching that weekend before I knew, so now I am on call. Boo.

Good luck, and awesome that you ran your goal this passed weekend!

7. runfastorfaster February 25, 2014 at 11:30 pm #

I’m pumped that you’ll be running the Buffalo half! I’m not sure how this new course will play out, but I hit a crazy 15:00 PR last year on it (to be fair, it was my 2nd half so a PR of any amount was bound to happen). A perfect flat, fast course to look forward to 🙂

I’m excited to follow your racing progress — sounds like you have a nice collection of races to get you to the goal. Your spring sounds like what my summer goals are (new half PR in September).

• upstaterunner February 27, 2014 at 7:04 pm #

It looks like the course change is for the better – I hope that ends up being true! I can’t wait for a Buffalo reunion. It will be such a fun day!

8. Laura @losingrace February 27, 2014 at 11:52 am #

I can’t wait until Syracuse AND Buffalo!!! Yippeee!!! I love how smart you are about all of this and I think a few more races and really going to help you mentally and physically!! 🙂

• upstaterunner February 27, 2014 at 7:03 pm #

YES! I already can’t wait to see you again. I love having race adventures to look forward to 😀