The Best Kind of Plans: Race Plans

3 May

One of my resolutions this year was to race more.  I learn a lot about myself during every race – the good, bad, and extremely ugly – but most importantly, it’s a reason to get out there a redline it once in a while.  Personally, I’ve seen that I do much better in my goal races if I’ve had a lot of practice on that pain train and the best way for me to really do that is in the atmosphere of a race.

Plus, races are like fun and festive mini-celebrations with friends.  And who doesn’t love celebrations?

celebration

Anyway.  I didn’t race a lot last year and I think the problem was just a lack of planning on my part.  I planned the goal races, sure.  But I had a lot of “oh crap, that was last weekend?!” moments with some of the smaller ones.  Ergo, I am making a concerted effort to be a better planner.

I bring to you the not-entirely-comprehensive-but-fairly-well-detailed guide to my racing schedule for this summer/fall.

Mountain Goat 10 Miler

mountaingoat

Turning into a bit of a tradition for me and happens to be – oh crap – this weekend.  I don’t have very many goals for this race … I’d like to go under 80 minutes but not at the risk of worsening my injury, so I fully intend to pull back if I’m not feeling it.  Mostly, it’s just a really fun race and the forecast looks gorgeous so I mainly want to enjoy myself and say hi to friends, new and old.  D’awwww.

Race for the Cure 5k

raceforthecure

I hate 5ks but I also hate that I haven’t broken 22 minutes in a 5k.  I want to race this all out and see where I am.

Buffalo Half Marathon

buffalo

Officially decided to step down to the half.  Thought about deferring altogether, but decided I’d like to race the half and again see where I am.  I don’t think I’m in PR shape, nor do I think I’ll be there in a few weeks.  I think there’s benefit in knowing if I can run under 1:40 right now though, so I’d like to give it a shot.

Boilermaker 15k

boilermaker

My first real goal race.  I love everything about the Boilermaker and I’d really like to go under 70 minutes this year.  If I could be closer to 65 than 70 I’d be ecstatic.  We’ll see.

Inner Harbor 5k

innerharbor

No real reason for this guy other than I’ve always wanted to do it and umm … multiple shots at breaking 22 minutes will probably pan out best for me.  Or make me want to kill myself.  Either way.

Arc Half Marathon

arc

I’ve done this one twice and have mixed feelings.  It’s for an extremely good cause but the course itself is pretty boring.  However, I noticed that Dunkin Donuts is a new sponsor this year and I’m really hoping that means free Dunks coffee after the race.  Good coffee and a good cause?  I’m in.

Wineglass Marathon

wineglass

After about a month or so of indecision, I finally pulled the trigger.  It’s no secret that my goal is to BQ this year, and this course lends itself to being very BQ-friendly.  After the tragedy in Boston, I considered doing the Rochester full instead with a hope of notching a BQ before registration opens up (hypothetically – the BAA hasn’t announced anything yet to my knowledge).  If the BAA maintains the same rolling system as last year, I think there’s an extremely good chance it will be closed by the time Wineglass rolls around.  However, I also think it will take BQ-5 or better to get in for 2014, and honestly, while it would be absolutely fantastic to run next year, I’m ok with waiting too.  I’ve heard nothing but great things about this race and I’m already entirely too excited about it.

So, there’s the current plan.  Any awesome races I’m missing?  Anyone else running Wineglass?

14 Responses to “The Best Kind of Plans: Race Plans”

1. HollieisFueledByLOLZ May 4, 2013 at 7:25 am #

I had orginally thought the Susan and parkway 5k were the same race. Anyways-you should do the one in Rochester on May 12th instead. I’ve heard nothing but good things about it. It’s an all woman’s race actually and apparently there are 1000+ people that do it. It would be some awesome competition for a sub 22 5k. I know you have that in you.

Anyways, picking up my race number for mountain goat I was like…oh right…that is this weekend….

• upstaterunner May 4, 2013 at 10:53 am #

I started to leave a reply that was like “hmm still very tempted” and then I was like, shut up and go register, it’ll be fun. So I did! Rochester, here I come.

• HollieisFueledByLOLZ May 4, 2013 at 11:16 am #

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. (the amount of “s”s was necessary). Ha ha.

2. Melissa May 4, 2013 at 9:27 am #

The race directors for Wineglass are the nicest ones I have ever met. The year I ran it, instead of kicking the slowest runner off the course, they drove next to her and cheered her on until she finished. The town is really cute and the post race food was good, too. Have a great time!

• upstaterunner May 4, 2013 at 10:54 am #

Oh, that’s so awesome!! Thank you for sharing, I’m so excited!

3. Laura May 5, 2013 at 1:18 pm #

I totally agree that running races helps teach you things about yourself and can really help you as a runner! Hope you had a good race this morning at Mountain Goat! Hollie told me you’ll be running The BCCR pink ribbon run 5k with us next weekend, can’t wait to meet ya!

As for Buffalo, I’m volunteering so Ill see you out there! and I am doing wineglass too! You soooo got that BQ. I’m not sure what registration is going to look like this year, the BAA will have their hands full figuring this out. Either way though, you will get there, if not 2014, then 2015!!

• upstaterunner May 7, 2013 at 5:41 pm #

So excited for this weekend! It can’t get here soon enough, actually. Weekend run plans > weekday work plans.

I am psyched for Wineglass, that’s awesome that you’re doing it too! Thanks for the encouraging words, I hope you are right!

4. olivetorun May 5, 2013 at 2:20 pm #

GREAT races coming up!! I am doing NONE of these 😉 but they all do sound like fun!! Good luck!

5. Vikki May 7, 2013 at 2:24 pm #

I’m not running wineglass, but I am doing the Boilermaker!!! After attending Utica College for three years and running the course hundreds of times by myself, I figured it was time I pulled the trigger 😉
    Can’t wait to hear about the Mountain Goat 10k! I’m thinking of running it next year!

• upstaterunner May 7, 2013 at 5:44 pm #

Awesome!! The Boilermaker is definitely my favorite race – not that I’ve done a ton, but still – it’s a really fun course (as you know!), the spectators and volunteers are numerous and all really friendly, and the post-race party is actually worth sticking around for. Hopefully you love it too!

6. Renee @BendifulBlog June 4, 2013 at 8:34 pm #

I’ll see you at the Boilermaker and the ARC race! And by see you I mean you will be finished already as I cross the start line. That’s a great list here locally some of my favorites.I agree the ARC run is boring, I ran it once. I’m considering adding the wineglass half this year, I just need to decide. Are you running Paige’s Butterfly this year?

• upstaterunner June 5, 2013 at 7:09 pm #

Lol well, that just gives me time to get in a prime cheering position for you then, right? That’s awesome though, I hope to run into you (no pun intended). You should definitely do Wineglass! I heard they just opened up some more spots for the full and the half. I’m passing on Paige’s this year; it’s going to be a busy weekend for me and unfortunately I just can’t fit it in. I recently heard about the Welch Allyn 5k though – are you doing that?