CIM Training Week 4

13 Nov

Week 4
Mon:  rest
Tu:  8.11mi @ 8:31 pace (7×100 pickups at the end)
Wed:  10.05mi @ 9:02 pace
Th:  7.07mi @ 7:43 pace

This workout was supposed to be 9m with 5m at 15k-half marathon pace.  I was short on time and it was awful outside (about 40 degrees, windy, cold rain), so I bargained with myself and agreed to cut it to 7m overall, keeping the 5m at an uptempo pace.  I really didn’t know how to pace or what to even shoot for, but told myself I’d be happy with ~7:45 average on those 5m in between.  I hit the first mile in 7:41, and somehow just kept picking it up from there.  I felt strong, confident, and even springy.  It started to get hard around 3.5 miles in, and I told myself to keep pushing but keep it relaxed.  The last mile turned directly into the wind, and I still managed to pull out my fastest mile.  This was totally confidence boosting – I was riding an extreme runner’s high for the rest of the day.

tempo-splits

Fri:  rest
Sat:  19.02mi @ 9:15 pace
Sun:  5mi – 5k race w/warm up and cool down.  5k in 21:55.

Total: 49.25 miles

Overall:  Freaking amazing week of running.  I can’t believe how good I felt, especially given a big step up in long run distance and two quality workouts.  Up until this point, I have been questioning my decision to run CIM.  This week had me thinking maybe … just maybe … this will turn out ok.

About these ads

7 Responses to “CIM Training Week 4”

1. Joey November 13, 2013 at 10:17 am #

Since you don’t know what times to shoot for, you should use the pace chart at mcmillanrunning.com for paces for all distances and speed workouts. Hope that helps!

• upstaterunner November 13, 2013 at 7:19 pm #

Thanks, I love that site! I am probably guilty of visiting it too much, actually. My problem in this case is that since I’ve been injured, I’m not entirely sure what race distance/time to use right now to calculate my ideal paces. I basically just said hey, I’m pretty positive I could race a half at 7:45 pace right now, so let’s go with that. I probably should’ve tried to use the calculator though!

• Joey November 13, 2013 at 8:23 pm #

Yeah I love it and I use McMillan for my coaching as well.

2. runmerirun November 13, 2013 at 11:09 am #

Wow you did an awesome job on your paces! I think CIM will be a walk in the park for you! You’re using Pete Pfzinger’s plan right? I used that for my past three marathons & I love it. I felt so confident and I got faster!

• upstaterunner November 13, 2013 at 7:16 pm #

Oh thank you so much! I am using his 8 week plan, but I made some modifications – I didn’t want to pile on the miles too fast because of such a short period in between races. I am really liking it so far though, and would definitely use one of his longer plans in the future!

3. HollieisFueledByLOLZ November 13, 2013 at 2:22 pm #

I am glad to hear this was such a great week. I really hope it’s as awesome as your 5k! :-)

4. Laura November 14, 2013 at 11:45 am #

Yay for a better week! My CIM questions have been all over the place… but in the end I know it is going to be a great weekend!